Tuesday, July 7, 2015

8 Years and Counting...


For the past several years, I have the same feeling in early July.  This July marks my eighth year with Vitiligo and yet again I am shocked that so many years have passed since I detected that first spot on my finger. I am so amazed that I am so happy and at peace. Vitiligo is still with me, but the negative people are out of my life.
I very rarely react to insult or exclusion, because the amazing people that I have had the privilege of meeting over the years that I truly valued their opinion have yet to insult or exclude me. I believe the only way a person can truly hurt you is you value their opinion or if they simply say something negative about you that you already believed to be true. I have already chronicled what I believe to be negative and even turned that around...http://mosaiclifeonline.blogspot.com/2009/08/about_06.html
 
I am taking an exception on this eighth anniversary of my vitiligo and reacting to a truth that has hurt me.  The constant attack I have witnessed by women on other women.  When are women going to learn or do they care? If “she” talks about “her’ to you then she will surely talk about “you” to “her. Confidence is a journey that you sometimes have to travel alone and usually those females who attack are the ones who have the poorest image of themselves. I do not yet know how to help those females. I do know how to help myself.  Love people for the positivity that they bring to my life (this is the notion of everyone is not a friend and some relationships are just for a reason or a season); and if they bring no positivity, they should be removed.  Those relationships usually just fade away on their own.  Insecure women will not linger around a confident woman very long, especially if she does not participate as I do not, in the attacks on other women. My hat is off to those beautiful women lifting each other up.  In that spirit of lifting people up, I love and recommend this article from Oprah.com. http://www.oprah.com/relationships/Nice-Things-You-Can-Say-to-Anybody


Vitiligo point of view: For the first time in almost eight years, I felt fear about vitiligo.  A few weeks ago, I noticed a few new spots on my body, but I thought no big deal.  I was going through a heavy stress phase and at the time I had not gotten my summer sun, so the new “vit” spots were no surprise. 
Reminiscing...No matter
how old he gets
he will always be my baby
Every year that passes with no indication of Vitiligo on my son, I feel relief.  Last month, I noticed a pale spot on my son’s body and I felt a surge of fear.  Vitiligo entered my life as an adult.  My self-image was already formed and sealed with confidence by the time I experienced Vitiligo.  This is only the beginning for him.  His self-image and confidence are still being developed. He has years of school to endure. My love is unconditional, but what about the non-blood relatives?  Will they shun him?  Then I took a deep breath and realized I cannot control any of those things. Furthermore, the people that truly love my son will always love him no matter what.

My emotions are normal. A mother’s love wants to protect her child from harm. Co-parenting has expanded love to my son from in-laws and extended family that he would otherwise not have. He is a gift of love to our families, but he will always be “my baby”.  My son has only known me with Vitiligo, so I am confident that he will be fine with or without it. To date, his pale spot has not turned white and there is no indication of any other spots. Vitiligo can strike at any age. Living in fear is not an option.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Mosaic,
Beautiful lady, I love your postivitness! It's contagious. What does count is what is on the inside. From viewing your pictures and reading your blog, you are beautiful both on the inside and outside.
May God continue to rich bless you.
looking forward to the next installment.