Monday, May 18, 2015

Seeing the world through the eyes of a child

I remember my eighteen year old self just entering adulthood.  She was so fearless, so bold, so determined.  She did not allow anything to stand her in way and she was so wise beyond her very young years.  Now, I have lived quite a bit and I have a few battle scars to show for it.  I do not take risks as easy because I can remember the pain I endured from some of those battles. Most important, I am no longer living just for me. That feisty little firecracker I was as a teenager is not gone.  She has matured into woman.  This means each move I make, risk I take, or battle I enter is much more calculated and planned.  What’s my next move?  Well, you have to wait and see…

 Vitiligo point of view
Photo courtesy of John L. Hernandez
Affectmagazine.com - 2014
I am so happy right now.  I think I noticed a “new” beauty mark from my vitiligo on my arm.    I am not sure because I don’t monitor my “vit” so close anymore. Life is happening and I am so busy living that I really only notice my "vit" when pointed out to me. My “village” {village = support system of family and/or friends} doesn’t see my “vit” anymore. Recently, a cute little voice asked me, “what happened to your arm?” I thought ok, how do I explain vitiligo to a toddler?  I responded, what do you mean?  He pointed to a red mark on my arm. I am glad I inquired more before jumping to conclusions.  He was concerned about a red mark that happens to be my birthmark.  His question had nothing to do with my arm's natural beauty art (vitiligo). Children are not yet jaded like adults.  My son is so happy by the small things like the sun shining and he wakes up full of energy.  We have a daily ritual of opening the blinds to let in the sunshine. I love seeing the world through the eyes of my child.  This is why I am so happy.  I enjoy, even the smallest things of life, all over again, everyday along with him.  The worldly lessons of fear and superficiality will likely be learned from outsiders that I cannot shield him from, but he will have a foundation of courage and positivity to combat with.  In the meantime, we are going to keep on enjoying. Hello sunshine (or rain), what a beautiful day…

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful. I am so glad you are back, beautiful, brave woman.