Friday, January 2, 2015

2015: "Don't Worry, Be Happy"

Last year was not without many special moments and valued time, but it was also much of growth and change for me.  Change is often not easy, and my 2014 was difficult.  However, I am blessed to have the aptitude to adjust to the change and learn from it.  It was a beautifully challenging experience. Nonetheless, I am ready to say Goodbye to 2014.  No resolutions for me, just lessons learned.  My top 4:
  • Lesson 1: Allow people to play the position they are best suited for - Some friends became less and some acquaintances from my past became friends.  I lost respect for some who I once had high expectations
  • Lesson 2: In the words of Dr. Maya Angelou "If someone shows you who are they are, believe them" - I set expectations based on the actions of individuals and not on their words. For some people this meant that I just accepted who they are with no expectations beyond what they have proven to be and for others, this meant that I had to remove from my life completely
  • Lesson 3: "Forgive and let go" - This is a reoccurring action that I must revisit often, sometimes it is daily prayer until it becomes an unconscious practice.  Just because I removed some negative people from my life in 2014, it does not mean that I resent them.  I cannot harbor anger and resentment because the negative results only fall on me (stress, illness, unhappiness); while the person who wronged me continues on without my worry
  • Lesson 4: Death signifies a new beginning - At the eve of the New Year, my family and I lost someone very near and dear to our hearts, may she rest in peace.  That chapter is closed, but we must take the lessons of her life and our experiences with her into the future and create new chapters 
I look forward to 2015 with excitement and enthusiasm.  Taking all of my struggle, lessons, and joy of 2014 and tunneling that into optimism and goals for 2015 is my strength, my faith, and my dedication at its best.  As always, I thank my "haters" for extra motivation and especially to my support team for refueling me when I'm running low.

Yummy: This drink reminded me of
my beautiful mosaic body.
(Vacation: Mexico Summer 2014)
Vitiligo Point of View: "Don't worry, be happy"; not just lyrics but it is my way of life. I have seen dramatic improvement in my Vitiligo as I compare old photos to 2014.  I believe my "Don't worry, be happy" focus, which is really what I have always described as redirecting my energy, is why the improvement continues. I no longer have to consciously think about the beauty and uniqueness of my body art "vitiligo"....I'm just living.








My hands most simply tell the "Don't worry, be happy" story. Happy New Year
2009: My Hand
2014: My Hands





2 comments:

Unknown said...

In 2009 you shared with me the change you were about to experience and even attempted to prepare me mentally for the transformation, but of course due to my journey of self-destruction I was so consumed in me that 5 years passed and I had no clue. As I read your writings, I believe every emotion that could be experienced by a human I experienced tonight. Barnetta, or should I say “Ms. Vanilla Chocolate Swirl”, you have always been a pillar of strength for me and today I must say is no different.

My BSF (Best Sister Friend), I love you and celebrate you 365. And thanks for reminding me, “Each day is another opportunity for a New Beginning”.

Mosaic L said...

I have nothing but LOVE for you!! We all have our challenges, but what matters most is how you decide to live through the challenges. You have gracefully done just that. I celebrate you as well, Marsha.